One Man's Trash is Another Man's KING KONG DELUXE EXTENDED EDITION

The King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition DVD is the best behind-the-scenes DVD I've ever seen and it only cost me five dollars.

I like to browse through DVD bins at places like Walmart and my grocery store for DVDs that are hidden gems. I was sifting through Barney DVDs when u speed king Kong. Col I though and puled it out see which version it was I almost had a heart attack. It was the Extended edition. Not just the Extended edition, but the three disk Deluxe Extended edition. I flipped it over and found the words I love to see: conceptual art gallery.

Besides being a great movie, this DVD is a must have for lovers of film. It chronicles the long journey from Peter Jackson's childhood love of King Kong to its aborted attempt in the 1990s to its final release in 2005.

The film is full of beautiful moments, but what really shines is the work of the art department. With interviews of key artists and model makers to their influence over the final film, it really makes you appreciate the hard work of production designer Grant Major and artists like Gus Hunter, Alan Lee and Miles Teves.

All the features show concept art, but what's really special are the five concept art videos of hundreds of paintings and drawing set to music from the film. Normally i like to watch slide shows so I can focus in on little details and appreciate it but these videos are so well done you don't miss anything. Plus, it would sprain your thumb to have to navigate through all these pictures.

Peter Jackson has a love of concept art and it shows in this extraordinary DVD. My only complaint is that they don't show who created which painting or drawing. When you're looking at a dynamic drawing of king Kong fighting a T-Rex or a lush scene of skull island by Jeremy Bennett, it would be nice if they gave credit where credit is due.

I don't know why someone thought this DVD is only worth 5, but I'd highly recommend buying it.
4 1/2 stars.

Comments

Post a Comment